WWII Type H-1 Aviator Bailout Oxygen Bottle
The H-1 oxygen bottle was introduced in 1941 and rendered obsolete in 1945 with the introduction of the H-2 bottle. The bottle was intended to provide about 10 minutes worth of oxygen to aviators and air crewmen who were forced to bail out of their aircraft at high altitudes. The bottle is contained within its canvas carrying case. The case is complete with all ties. The neck of the oxygen bottle is marked by the Ohio Chemical and Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. The bottle system lacks the rubber breathing tube that would have been contained within the pocket on the canvas bag.